Thursday 14 August 2008

catching up with "boss"

I had a dinner meeting with my ex-boss yesterday. He brought along a former colleague who is one of his most-trusted lieutenants. My ex-boss is a professionally-accomplished and very busy man. I was honoured to spend the evening with him. Even though he is technically no longer my boss, I still address him as "Boss" - a combination of the familiar and the entirely-deserved honorific.

He shared with me the latest developments in the organization. I was very happy to learn that under his direction, it truly is growing from strength to strength. He just purchased two properties - one is a terraced house and the other a large plot of land whose backyard faces Pierce Reservoir. The former will be used as a satellite office cum chalet for the organization, while the latter is a private investment. He is an enthusiastic proponent of qi gong and the location of that land will be an ideal place to practise the art.

I was also honoured that he expressed deep appreciation for the help I had rendered in the past, the most recent instance being helping him ghost-write an article for a financial magazine. Dinner was in part to thank me for the assistance. He also reiterated his interest in exploring further collaborations between myself and the organisation in the near future. It is a growing firm that will need to upgrade its marketing, branding and technology knowledge. He believes that I will be able to play a role in these endeavours. I am humbled by his confidence. I told him that it would be an honour to be a part of the growth of the organization.

Over dinner, we also shared and reaffirmed each other in our common admiration and support for our country and the ruling party and its founder, our Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew. We also talked about the ministers we admired and those who perhaps had a few idiosyncrasies that made them stand out. It was a wonderful evening with fantastic company. I'm looking forward to our collaboration.

No comments: