Monday 24 November 2008

just be

The past weekend saw me back at East Coast Park, just before daybreak on Sunday. My intention had been to witness the sunrise and come into awe of its beauty. It had been a long time since I felt inspired by beauty, and there had been a growing desire within me over the past month or so to experience it again. As I sat by the shore, anticipating the golden sliver emerge beyond the horizon, a thought struck me. Why should a sunrise be anymore beautiful than any other single moment of the day? To live in the eternal now is to experience beauty in everything, from dawn to dusk and every moment in between. This is the esoteric that is found in the exoteric. Beauty does not discriminate; we, in our primal identity-preserving struggle, do. But to be still, and simply be in the moment. To simply "be." Once I realized that, everything around me took on a different, ethereal light. And that golden sliver hadn't even emerged from beyond the horizon yet.

No comments: